Ellen to marry Portia de Rossi after California court approves gay marriage

Posted by eds on 11:08


omedian and openly lesbian talk show host Ellen DeGeneres will marry longtime partner actress Portia de Rossi now that same-sex marriage is legal in California, according to a Reuters report.

DeGeneres, 50, announced on the Thursday taping of The Ellen DeGeneres Show that she's very excited over the ruling by the California Supreme Court, overturning the ban on gay marriage.

She even quipped, after the audience cheered her announcement, "Thank you. I'll tell you who the lucky guy is soon."

DeGeneres and de Rossi have been lovers for four years.

In 1997, DeGeneres' TV character--her alter ego--on her sitcom "Ellen" came out as openly gay. The character became the first openly gay lead role in US TV history.

Later DeGeneres hooked up with actress Anne Heche and they became the most prominent gay couple in America. They separated after three years.

De Rossi is an Australian actress born Amanda Lee Rogers. She had her name legally changed to Portia de Rossi when she was 15. In an interview with a gay magazine, she said changing her name had something to do with her struggle with accepting her gayness.

When I was 15, I changed it legally. In retrospect, I think it was largely due to my struggle about being gay. Everything just didn’t fit, and I was trying to find things I could identify myself with, and it started with my name.

"I picked Portia because I was a Shakespeare fan [Portia is the character in The Merchant of Venice who famously declaims, “The quality of mercy is not strain’d / It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven.”]. De Rossi because I was Australian and I thought that an exotic Italian name would somehow suit me more than Amanda Rogers. When you live in Australia, Europe is so far away and so fascinating, so stylish and cultured and sophisticated," she told The Advocate. (For full interview click here)

De Rossi received international attention when she played sexy lawyer Nelle Porter on the hit show Ally McBeal. She was part of the cast from 1998 to 2002. She has played mostly straight female roles in her career. Several men's magazines have included her in their lists of sexiest women.

Reuters reported that de Rossi was at the taping of DeGeneres' show and was seen smiling and applauding DeGeneres' wedding announcement.

"It is something of course that we have wanted to do and we wanted to be legal, and we are just very, very excited," DeGeneres said. Source


Type rest of the post here

0 comments: